NEW to the BLOG ! Check out the BLOG Archives on the Right.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Scary times on the farmstead

Our week started out just like any other week but things sure changed at the end.  Let me start at the beginning.

Sunday was Mother's Day so Ruthie and I took Mom for a walk at the lake.  We stopped so she could go swimming but she said she didn't bring her swim suit.  I told Mom I don't have to wear one and it is OK but Mom said humans have to so she just watched as Ruthie and I swam.  We found the sticks from when we were at the lake with the reporter from the Omaha World Herald so Mom threw them out in the water for Ruthie and me.   I told Ruthie we should make dinner for her but Ruthie told me while dogs sometimes get to eat people food - people don't eat dog food.  I heard Dad say anyway he was going to BBQ for her.  Last but not least for Mom for Mother's Day I wore my gentle lead around the house and didn't make a BIG fuss about it.   I still wish I could find where Mom hides it so I can hide it from her. 

Monday and Tuesday Mom was packing around the house.  We went for a walk at the lake on Monday but Tuesday my two legged sister Aunna come over with more boxes for the move so she and Mom packed then I heard Mom say they needed a break so they went and had their toes and nails done.   Aunna asked if I was coming ?  I was trying soooo hard to tell Mom how much I don't like the smells there and didn't want to go and maybe for the first time she understood puppy talk.  She told Aunna I usually don't stay in my down/stay and get up and try to walk around which makes it hard to have your toes done.   GOT TO STAY HOME !! just like Ruthie does.  We both took naps. 

Wednesday was mowing day.  Mom spent most of the day out on the big green machine.   Ruthie and I did our usual sniffing and rolling around in smelly stuff.  I must have not found enough smelly stuff to roll around in because when Mom was done mowing she made me go with her to run some errands.  She told me that we need to make sure we get plenty of training moments in before the move because she will be soooo busy for a week or so.  I heard her tell the reporter I was reverting back to my baby days with a teenage attitude.  

Thursday Mom packed again in the morning then she went for her daily run.  After that Mom made me go again with her to run some errands.  When we got home Ruthie had an issue that I usually have but in the house instead of in the car - as you know I get car sick a lot of the time.  Mom didn't think too much of it because me and Ruthie like to eat icky things outside that don't always agree with our tummies but this time Ruthie got sick and sick and sick. 

NOW THE SCARY TIMES BEGIN !

Friday Mom fed Ruthie and I breakfast and Ruthie got sick right away so Mom called Heartland Animal Hospital and talked to our Vet.  She said to bring Ruthie in right away.  I wanted to go but Mom said this was kind of an emergency and I had to stay at home.  Mom was gone a long time before I got to know how Ruthie was and even longer before I got to talk to Ruthie again.  She told me all she could remember ?


She said first they took a picture of her tummy and found a rock.  I know Mom yells at us for eating them and has said some day we would regret doing it.  They took some blood from her arm and put a needle in her arm that had to stay.   The rock was sooo big that the Vet said surgery was the only way to get it out so they left for the surgery hospital of Heartland Vet.   Ruthie said she doesn't remember much after that.  The Vet thought it would be an in and out surgery but they found other stuff in Ruthie's tummy that should not be there.  The Vet said it looked like pieces of a towel.  Ruthie and I play tug of war with the towel Dad uses to wipe our feed but no more !!  The towel is now up on the counter. 


Ruthie was able to come home that evening.  Mom put her in quarantine for a while before I got to go in and see her.  I was pacing outside of the gate and Mom finally gave in.   That was when Ruthie told me all about her adventure or at least what she remembered.   I laid down beside her and we both took a long nap.  When we woke up Ruthie did get to come out of quarantine and we went outside to "hurry up"  Went out the front door since Ruthie can't do stairs till her stitches come out. 


This weekend is our last weekend on the farmstead before the move to the lake.  Mom and Dad did some packing in the morning then Dad left for his office and Mom and me went to Lowes and Walmart.   Mom said she had run out of boxes and needed some more plus we needed to buy some rice and chicken for Ruthie.  She can't eat her dog food for a while.   Saturday night we headed out to the gardening barn to pack it up for the move and listen to some Elvis Gospel music.  I got to spend time with Mom and Dad but Ruthie only got to come out for a "hurry up" potty break.  Today the new farmstead family who bought our house is coming and Mom and me are going to help them plant the garden.   Ruthie will miss out on this since she is still in quarantine because of "the rock". 

The ROCK !!

THANK YOU
Dr. Kelianne - Dr. Andrew - Dr. Susan
For taking care of my BEST friend and four legged sister !!




No comments:

Post a Comment